Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Contentment



IBS 11


1Timothy 6:6-8


“Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.”


It can be easy to find comfort in “things.” I absolutely love journaling. I love writing down different things I am learning, different verses the Lord is giving me, memories, thoughts, quotes; I love it. But the Lord has revealed to me that I have created a dependency on journaling. I enter into my time with Him ready to write instead of ready to listen. I would open my Bible in the mornings and think, “Okay Lord, what do you have for me today?” But God is not a vending machine. Now journaling in its self isn’t bad, but when I place my thoughts and my words above what He has to say to me, I’m missing out. So this last week I decided to fast from journaling. I began my mornings just me and His word. Instead of entering my day asking, “What do you have for me today?” I entered my days asking, “Whatever you would have for me today.” The difference is expectation. One attitude is seeking for something and the other is open to anything, all or nothing. What I mean by all or nothing is that when I truly humble my heart before Him, with open hands and an open heart, I allow the Lord to speak great and encouraging things to me; or allow Him to be silent and I remain content with either response. As I laid aside my thoughts and words on what He is teaching me, the Lord reminded me of this verse: “I have not departed from the commandment of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth More than my necessary food.” (Job 23:12) When I open my Bible and sit before my King, before my Father, my Savior, I want to worship Him; not my expectations of what He can give me. This verse has stirred up a desire in my heart to truly know what it means to “treasure the words of His mouth More than my necessary food.” This requires me to truly delight myself in Him. I didn’t bring my love for words and journaling into this world, I cannot take them out. My words will fade, they will become dust; but His words will be forever. If the Lord took away my ability to speak, my ability to write, could I be content with just His words?


Application: As I continue throughout my training time, I will use caution on how much I journal and the content I write. I will continually ask the Lord what He would have for me; setting aside my expectations and allowing His words to be my contentment.

Lord, please teach me what it is to speak, what it is to write; what it is to truly delight myself in You.

No comments:

Post a Comment